Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Happy Canada Day #142


Yay! It's Canada Day!

I'm trying to be more excited about it but at the moment I'm sitting home alone watching Regis and Kelly (Bryant Gumble is there for Regis), sipping on coffee, checking on twitter now and then and, of course, writing this. I did make some homemade pancakes (can't/won't do the ones out of a box) and I will go to visit family and friends later so I guess I will feel the rah rahs when I am around other people! My day got off to a late start because I fell asleep on the couch and woke up to a Mel Brooks film that ended close to 3am.

OK...this worked...I just clicked a link on a twitter account @connect2canada that had a link to Canada Events going on in the US which played O Canada....the patriotism is starting to swell. They also had a link to a cute youtube video, Canadian, Please.

Wow...142 years...still pretty much one of the new kids on the planet...and yet...one of the best places to live in the world! (it would be THE BEST were it not for our winter, Harper and choice of cellular service providers).

So...I'm trying to think about what I love about Canada...here's a list off the top of my head:
  • Freedom - of choice, of speech...
  • Space - There is more wilderness in Canada than populated areas.
  • Water - need I say more
  • Medical Care - I may have to wait sometimes but it won't cost me to see the doctor.(my wait has never been that bad)
  • Democracy - At least we know the politcal party we want to get rid of was voted in legitimately.
  • Multi-culturalism - I just went to multi-fest last week-end...Celebrate and embrace different cultures.
  • Education - It's true...though some take more advantage of it than others.
  • Humour - We can tell a joke and take a joke...well, other than Harper and a few others.
  • Security - Sure there are some areas of the city to avoid but for the most part I feel safe walking around at night.
  • Charity - They say it begins at home but there are lots of Canadians looking out for others around the world as well!
  • Peace - OK..so our troops are at war in Afghanistan...it started out as a peacekeeping mission...they are trying to rebuild and train not destroy. And here at home, other than people who hunt and police/military, I don't know anyone who owns a gun.
  • Arts - So much talent here in all aspects (music, dance, visual art, acting, etc.)
I've probably left out some important points but that's OK...I just wanted to say that I'm proud to be Canadian! I love my country, my province, my city and, above all, my family and friends!

(If you really want to know more about Canadian History click here.)

HAPPY CANADA DAY!

I think I'll go enjoy it now (despite the weather...
hope I can find my Canda Flag t-shirt and temporary tattoos!)

(please note that I did not use the words eh, beaver, mountie, aboot, igloo, canuck, or any other word that the rest of the world 'stereotypes' Canadians as saying/using/being/living in....etc)

No comments:

Post a Comment