Friday, June 26, 2009

RIP Michael Jackson

I heard the news of MJ's death on Twitter and yet I tried to get confirmation through traditional sources, like CNN.com, which was about 45 minutes behind the original source of TMZ. I trusted twitter for the news of MJ's death and retweeted the information before confirmation. It was true. The same however could not be said for a hoax that circulated about Jeff Goldblum. This was the day when Farrah Fawcett lost her battle with cancer and Michael Jackson succumbed to cardiac arrest...so why wouldn't we believe that Jeff Goldblum had died accidentally in NZ by falling off a cliff? Again...I tried to get confirmation from traditional sources but we already saw how behind the times the traditional media sources can be...and in the world of Social Media (especially Twitter) the conversations are fast and furious and old news is what happened 30 minutes ago. And the rumour spread...like wildfire. I think that it was 15 minutes later that we were spreading word of the hoax but some people were still catching up with the older tweets and the rumour wasn't quashed for an hour or so. Who would do something like that? This was a question that a couple of tweeps asked me. I know it was rhetorical but it made me think; if there are persons out there creating false information then should I ever believe what I read without getting confirmation from traditional sources? I certainly will question things a little more...for now. I did, however, come to the conclusion that, although morbid, the publicity that Jeff Goldblum got yesterday on twitter (he was a trending topic for a bit there) probably didn't do him or his career any harm.

Yes it was a morbid day in the news world/entertainment world (and for that matter this week with the passing of Ed McMahon also). I grew up watching Charlie's Angels (younger people may think that the movies starring Drew Barrymore, etc., were the original) and listening to Michael Jackson. I bought The Jacksons Destiny album when I was 9 or 10 years old at a record store on Sparks Street in Ottawa during a family vacation. I listened to it with my cousin's record player singing along to every song while another cousin ironed in the hallway...I was embarrassed when I found her out there because I was listening to it with headphones...so my voice was acapella!

I think most people agree that Michael Jackson was a great entertainer who revolutionized (or at least started a trend in) videos, dance and (not sure I can forgive him this one) fashion. Oh, he had rough times...was called Wacko Jacko, criticized for his many plastic surgeries and was accused of being a child molester. No wonder the man, who was in the spotlight from the age of 5, became a recluse. He had basicallybeen living under the radar since 2001 but was planning a comeback tour including 50 sold-out performances in London. I can't imagine what that would have done for the London economy. Having been postponed for health reasons the tour was supposed to go on but perhaps the stress of it all was too much for Michael. RIP Michael Jackson, I'll remember the good times but I won't Blame It On The Boogie.

No comments:

Post a Comment