Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day!

Happy Father’s Day….sorry the weather is so bad. Rainy, windy and not so warm for the first day of summer. I imagine many golf plans were cancelled but Dad’s everywhere are probably enjoying a nice meal prepared by their kids…(some are enjoying it more than others, I’m sure …hehe).
I called my dad at 9am to wish him a good day. I haven’t lived at ‘home’ for 21 years so I can’t even remember the last time I cooked him a Father’s Day meal. If it counts, I recently visited my parents for a weekend to celebrate his birthday and cooked breakfast (eggs Benedict) my first morning there (although I think my mother enjoyed it more!). Mmm…eggs benedict…think I’ll cook some today…seeing as how the weather is dictating an ‘indoor day’ today!

Thinking back, I can’t recall a Father’s Day (or a Mother’s Day for that matter) that sticks out more than another. Did my dad go golfing on that day?? Probably. I’m pretty sure we didn’t do much as a family which is a shame. My mother once said (when I asked why there wasn’t a ‘Kid’s Day’) that everyday is ‘Kid’s Day’ so we didn’t need one. Hmmpf…I wasn’t buying that. I thought then…and still think now…that Father’s Day and Mother’s Day are days to be spent with the children. Making memories that parents and children alike will remember fondly. Do you something special as a family on that day…create a tradition…or do something different each year so it is even more memorable? It’s a tough call but whatever you do, enjoy it with your children…they won’t be home forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment