Wednesday, June 24, 2009

For the Love of Twushi


My first experience with sushi was January 1993. I arrived in New York, NY (without my luggage) and was met by my cousin's husband (I was going to stay with them for 3 months or so). We arrived at the house in Hartsdale and were almost immediately on our way to friends of theirs for dinner….sushi I later found out. (I should mention that my cousin [who has since passed] and her husband with their three young children had recently moved from Japan for a four year posting and their friends were transplanted from Japan for a few years also.) I went with…a little anxious about my luggage arriving and being left on the doorstep while we were gone and about eating raw fish for the first time but I was happy to be welcomed to New York with an introduction to a different culture. And what a welcome it was! I have not seen such a large smorgasbord of sushi since…the entire table was covered with it and as I heeded the warnings to stay away from the sea urchin…I thoroughly enjoyed it…and so it began…my love of sushi! (oh…and my luggage was on the front doorstep when we got back that night!)

When I returned home I didn’t have an opportunity to have sushi. I think Suisha Gardens may have still been open in the Maritime Centre then but my menu choices there were always cooked (chicken or beef teriyaki anyone?). Soon after I moved to Ottawa. I learned not to order fish at all when I was there. (I’m sure that has changed in the last 9 years)

Fast forward to 2008. I’ve been back in Halifax for 8 years and sushi restaurants are popping up everywhere. My birthday is spent with friends for a luncheon of ‘make it yourself’ sushi and I discover my favourite sushi restaurant is Hamachi House on Morris Street. Yumm.

And then came Twitter. It started innocently enough…you sign up, make a few tweets, follow a few tweeps and the next thing you know you are attending meet-ups at sushi restaurants affectionately known as Twushi! (of course on twitter we use a hash tag in front of it.... #twushi) Our first #twushi meet-up was at Minato on Queen Street. Thirteen people (some of whom had never met prior to that night) enjoying each others company and conversation while eating sushi. Mmmm…it was a great night and was to be followed up with another #twushi night at the Hamachi Grill Dartmouth the following month. And again at Sushi Nami Royale on Dresden Row last month (unfortunately I could not attend that one).
But I made it to #twushi last night!! At my favourite restaurant (although I seem to frequent Sushi Nami Royale in Clayton Park more often because of proximity to work and home...went there this after-noon as a matter-of-fact) with people who are strangers no longer. Viva the Hurricane Roll!! Viva my twitter friends!! Life in social media is definitely more than sitting at your computer! There were 15 tweeple at #twushi last night. Two people I had never met on/off line and two I met in person for the first time. It was great! Amazing food, good drink and AWESOME company including @bitdepth, @giftedtypist, @spennell, @aliasgrace and hubby, @iTeedee, @natniles, @jessyo @davemmett @porcelainduck, @nicolacourtney, @BradFraser, @areaeleven and @smistephen (with the notable absence of our organiser @DarrinSearancke).

I'm already looking forward to the next #twushi where I will vie for the title of #twasabi Champion...I think I shall practice increasing my tolerance of wasabi now....the others won't stand a chance!

2 comments:

  1. It is so great to combine social media with socializing. It's the perfect combination and I love finding out more about people and what they are doing. It was my first #twushi, but not my last. Both the food and the people were interesting, delicious and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'll have to try and make the next twushi ... i have never tried sushi, and what better opportunity?

    ReplyDelete