Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Inspired Poetry

I have been inspired...to write a poem, no less!! I read a wonderful poem written by Mark Campbell AKA @MrWordsWorth last night and today I sat down and started writing (not intentionally...I also felt bad about neglecting the blog and this is what I ended up with). The poem started in one direction but veered off as I remembered a conversation between @natniles and @R0gueWarri0r about a possible coffee shop encounter. I'm sure we've all been there. The world is getting smaller as 6 degrees of separation becomes 2 degrees of separation. (Especially in a city like Halifax)

So...here it is...I make no claims to be a poet...I tend to do well with puns (grew up watching the Canadian game show 'Definition'-the fun with the pun on television!) but that's about it.



Face To A Name

We may have met
In another life,
On the street..

You do look familiar
Are you a doppelganger
Confusing me with your likeness to someone I know?
But who?

The questions stream through my thoughts
As I think of another friend who never forgets a face.
I can’t put your face to a name;
If it were not too embarrassing I’d ask.
Maybe I should.

What would be the worst thing that could happen?
You look at me strangely…for we are strangers.
Or, you look at me in disbelief,
Questioning how I could forget how we met at my cousin’s husband’s mother’s funeral five years ago.

The chance eludes me.
You are out the door and heading down the street
Unaware that I have been wrestling with your ‘identity crisis’
And that it will haunt me for the remainder of the day.

If only I could Google a mental picture.
Perhaps that will be a application available in the future.
For now, I will try not to think about it.
I too have things to get done today.

At home I open my laptop to check in with
My virtual friends…some of whom I have met IRL
…and it hits me…it’s staring me right in the face…
Your face, or your avatar, that is!

I send you a tweet…

LOL..I saw you at the coffee shop 3 hours ago!!
Hope you enjoyed your coffee! ;-.)

No comments:

Post a Comment